Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Americans: Good or Bad?

Well, I guess that depends on who you meet and where you go. I've had the absolute pleasure of meeting some awesome people while I've been in Hanoi. I met a wonderful lady named Goguie from El Salvador (but she lives in Japan), a great guy named Faysol from Lebanon (but he lives in Dubai), and another wonderful gal named Jhett from the Philippines (but she lives in Hanoi).

The first day I arrived in Hanoi, again I got to see a taxi driver waiting with a sign that had my name on it.....it kind of makes me feel famous. He was waiting just for me :) He drove me to my hotel and I felt like I was living in luxury. I actually had hot water AND A/C. How lucky am I?? I walked around the city for a bit, and realized I am only about 5 minutes walking from the river. It was awesome! I met up with Jhett (one of the ladies from the Philippines told me about her friend Jhett who was living in Hanoi and we connected over Facebook) for some coffee and dinner and we had a blast talking! At dinner she ordered all the food, that way I was getting the best of the best, and it was delicious! I stuffed myself silly and slept like a baby that night in my nice cold room!

The next day I ate my free breakfast and then jumped on the bus for my tour. I decided to book a tour since I'm traveling by myself, and it was a great thing that I did because I met Faysol and Goguie, who I ended up hanging out with the entire day. We went on the Hanoi city tour and they took us to all the temples, museums, and even a pottery village (where I bought kissing cups....too cute!) where we got to see the people working and making amazing pottery.

Ho Chi Minh's house and the Masoleum where his body is still able to be seen. Two months out of the year they send his body to Russia to do the touch ups to his face and make sure he's still presentable to be shown to the loads of tourists that come every year and walk into the masoleum (cameras are not allowed inside and they are strict about no talking (it was really hard for me to do, I got in trouble a lot and told to shush :)) and you have to walk in a double file line).

1. Ho Chi Minh Museum 2. Single Pillar Pagoda 3. Confucious
1. The lake right by my hostel 2. Banging the gong at the Temple of Literature

1. The Temple of Literature 2. The turtles that you are supposed to rub to make you smart (after I took this picture I saw signs everywhere telling you not to sit on them.....I guess I'm destined to not be smart now ;)
We got back and I went shopping and around the town with Faysol and Gougie while we waited for our Water Puppet Show to start. I did some great bartering for my new friends (they're a little bit shy to do the bartering and I didn't want them to get taken advantage of). I even got myself a really cute hat for half the price of what they were asking (Gougie got the same one) :)

This made my shoulder sore, I don't know how they do it.

Our water puppet show started at 6:30 and we were there right on time. The show went through 17 different acts and each one told a story about the history of Vietnam. They had music and singing as well. Some of the Vietnamese instruments are amazing and the things that the girls do with their voices are crazy! It was a good time!

Then I took a taxi to my friend Jhett's apartment and she made me traditional Filipino food. It was awesome! She was so sweet! It was great talking with Jhett and being able to share my faith and my testimony. I also got to talk with Faysol and Gougie about my Love and that was awesome (Gougie's catholic and Faysol's muslim).

So are Americans good or bad? If you ask the people I just met, I bet they would tell you we're good. If you walk through the history museums here, I bet you would get told we're bad. But don't worry. I've been representing our fine country well, and now America has completely been redeemed in Vietnam and they now love us all! What a good ambassador I am :)

It's back to the airport in about an hour to head back to Ho Chi Minh for 2 days. I'm going to try and visit the war museum as well as the underground tunnels that the Vietnamese used during the war. Then it's back "home" to Thailand!

2 comments:

  1. It is always a pleasure to read your journal and share in your adventures. As I was reading, the traveling itch came upon me, and as soon as I can, I will have to hit the road myself. Your a great inspiration. Thanks for being a great ambassador and having the Vietnamese see us in a better light. Just by being you, you are changing the world, one new friend at a time. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how the "puppets" are all life size. If I was a puppet master and I watched Pinocchio, I would never make something big enough to whip on me if it ever magically came to life. It'd be something more "special", with leg braces, pigeon toes, and a head like a bowling ball so everytime it leaned in for a haymaker, the little fella would take a swan dive face first into the pavement. Color me crazy, but that's just me.

    ReplyDelete