Friday, July 3, 2009

I can't fit in that hole!

My last day in Ho Chi Minh was awesome! I went on a tour to the underground tunnels (which are called the Cu Chi tunnels) that the VietCong had created during the war for safety. They built everything down in the tunnels from a kitchen, to a meeting place for the officers to talk, to a honeymoon room (that's the triangle room, where a couple would have peace to spend their honeymoon night. It was built to withstand shaking that would come from the bombings and shootings. Such an important room :)).


We saw all the booby traps (and our guide was quick to inform us that this did not mean boobies, like the ones on your chest. Booby means stupid in Vietnamese, and so they set up traps for the stupid). Some of them were pretty crazy. I thought this one was the funniest of them all.

The hole where the sniper would wait. I didn't even try to fit :)

Then, we even got a chance to walk down into the tunnels. I walked the 140 meter length tunnel. Every 30 meters they have an escape so you can leave the tunnels if you wanted, lots of people couldn't handle it. It was extremely hot and humid down there and extremely tiny ( Asians are a lot smaller than us large Americans), but I didn't come all the way to Vietnam to not walk the whole 140 meters. Sometimes it was so tight you were practically sliding down the dirt and scooching your way through. It would be so dark at times, you just had to trust you weren't going to run into the wall :)


After the tunnels, the bus dropped me off near the airport. I still had about 4 hours until my flight left, so I ate my last bowl of Pho and did a little shopping :) Then I boarded my plane for Thailand! I was so excited to board the plane! We landed safely and I got in the taxi to go to my hostel. The taxi driver got lost, as they always do when I go to this hostel :) I jumped right into bed, I was exhausted. I think all the flights are catching up to me :) Then, my friend Becca (from the States) arrived here in Thailand about 3 am. Now I have a traveling buddy!! Woo-hoo!! We're off to Pattaya beach today to celebrate 4th of July and then it's up to Mae Sot tomorrow!! I can't wait to see all the kids and all my friends!

Please pray for safety, as we'll be taking a bus from Bangkok to Mae Sot through the windy roads in this lovely rainy season. Me and Becca are going to try and put an English camp on for the kids because they have a week off of school, so pray for guidance on that!

2 comments:

  1. How fortunate to see a part of history that few will ever get to see. What a blessing to see what it was really like. Am glad you got to experience it first hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky they didn't just lock all you Americans down there, claim one last victory for Nam! "No more tie-breaker, we win war!"

    ReplyDelete