Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th of July (yesterday)!!

Yesterday, I celebrated 4th of July Thai style. We went to Pattaya beach and soaked up the sun! We splurged a little and got a massage and even spent $5 on lunch (that's crazy expensive here :)). But it's ok because we were celebrating our national holiday!

I started my morning with eating my all-time favorite Thai food, Cow Mun Gai. It was delicious! I haven't eaten it for a year and that made it oh so much better!

We went on an adventure trying to find the bus to take us to Pattaya and get a good deal, and after an hour of going back and forth to find a bus or mini-van, we finally joined a group and took a bus out there. It only took about an hour and a half and the weather was great there. There was a breeze coming off the ocean. We laid out on the beach and spent some nice time relaxing because we knew that tomorrow we'd be off to Mae Sot where we'd get set to a workin' :)

It was time for us to head back to the bus station to get our bus back to Bangkok. We hailed down a motorbike taxi and asked Tao Rai Ka? (how much?). They told us it would be 30 baht each (the equivalent of a dollar). But I just wasn't having that, I wanted it for 20 baht each (mind you that's only like 20 cents difference....but it's the principle of the matter :)). Becca was making fun of me for bartering, but we ended up getting it for 20 baht each......I'm just such a good barterer......it probably helps that I can speak Thai, because they think it's funny so they say "what the hey, I'll take 10 baht off for this little lady". It has been surprising how much of my Thai has come right back to me. It's like I never left :)

We're off to Mae Sot today. I can't wait to see all the kiddos and all my friends! I'll be in Mae Sot until July 14th. I'm not sure if there will be an internet connection so I don't know if I'll be able to blog at all. Keep checking in case I can :) Please pray for our bus trip to Mae Sot. It's about 8 hours and it's a really windy road in the rainy season. Also, pray for my time in Mae Sot and that I'm able to truly show God's love and share Him with everyone that God brings me into contact with!!

2 comments:

  1. How nice to have Becca come and pal around with you. Keep up the good work bartering, we don't want the Thai's to think we're a push over. lol
    Have a great time and I will keep you in my prayers. May you get what you got when you go to Mae Sot. (not sure what it means, but it sounds a little catchy and even rhymes.) LOL Say hello to the teachers for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the wide spectrum of venues there. It's like universal studios theme park tour. "And to our left we have where they filmed slumdog millionaire and birth place of the addictive substance known as Cow Mun Gai (translated: Cowthatsomehowdied). Now, if you would direct your attention to the right, we have the Hard Rock Cafe, birth place of the overpriced hamburger and home of the addictive substance known as cellulite (as translated: jelly roll, fatback, and thighs of cheese).”

    ReplyDelete