Monday, June 29, 2009

Is it Saigon or Ho Chi Minh?

Both :) And what an awesome city it is! When I first arrived, there was a taxi driver sitting on the bench holding a sign with my name on it and a huge smile on his face. I pre-arranged a taxi to pick me up so that way I knew I'd actually get to the hostel that I booked :) He grabbed my backpack and in his broken English began talking to me, the smile still remaining. We made our way through the ridiculously crazy driving and traffic and made it to my hostel, Yellow House. I walked up the three flights of stairs to my room lugging my backpack like a warrior. Then, I set out into the town. When I walked out the doors to go tour this great city I was amazed at how many foreigners there were. On the main street, everywhere you look you see a white face. It was kind of dissapointing, but as soon as you go into the city, it's less touristy and you get to see the history. I took a motorbike into the city and my knees almost knocked a car and a couple other motorbikes.....it was quite an adventure :)


The motorbike taxi dropped me off at the Reunification Palace. Then an old man riding a bike with a lounge seat in the front of it asked me if he could take me around and show me all the sights (he was missing most of his front teeth but that didn't stop him from smiling :)). I agreed to let him take me around and I got to see all the sights in Ho Chi Minh by bicycle :) I saw the War Museum, Notre Dame Cathedral, General Post Office, City Opera House, Ben Thanh Market, and the Saigon River. It started to sprinkle while we were biking and it felt awesome!

Cruising the city in style :)
War Museum

I met one of my roommates, Jack, from England and he joined me for dinner at a little Vietnamese shop. I ate some Pho (Vietnamese chicken noodle soup) and it was awesome! After dinner, I had to treat myself to a little pampering and I enjoyed a nice 2 hour full body massage and facial, a pedicure and a manicure........and all for the lovely price of... $20 (including tip :)). I just love Asia ;)

Now I'm sitting in my hostel about to eat my free breakfast and then jump in a taxi to take off for the airport for Hanoi! Keep those prayers of safety coming!

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful experience your having. It is sure nice to enjoy as much as you can while traveling, especially when the price is right. Good idea about having someone waiting with a sign. Will look forward to seeing the pictures. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. $20? Incredible. I would've never left. The last thing you'd hear is "You go now, massage time over. You come back tomorrow, get special price" as they pushed my lifeless, tenderized body to the streets via a wheelchair. Sounds like a blast! Eagerly awaiting new pics! God bless Andrea! -Guy Below Dad

    ReplyDelete